The Yardley Community Centre has provided a meeting place for the residents of Yardley, Lower Makefield and Morrisville since 1851. The rear portion of the building is the original structure. This served as a meeting place for "The Sons of Temperance", and also was used as the private school in Yardley. Tuition for this school was 35 cents per week.
In 1872, one of the first Odd Fellows Halls in the country was established in this building. The Centre was enlarged in 1878 to allow church services, fire company suppers, theatre productions and other events to take place in Yardley.
The "Cob-Web Theatre" was created in the early 1930's when the hall was leased by Nat Burnes. The Yardley Community Centre Association purchased this building and incorporated it as a non-profit corporation in 1940.
The Yardley Community Centre is a non-profit corporation, owned by stockholders and maintained and operated by a 13-member board of directors. A few years ago, the board took on the enormous task of restoring this structure. An historic restoration architect was hired to give guidance. The renovation included:
Most of the work has been made possible through grants, private contributions, rentals and concerts. A tax deductible contribution will help in the continuing restoration and preservation of this historic building.
You can help by: